Venue: Council Chamber, Bristol City Hall
Contact: Ian Hird 07436 600313
Committee membership update
To note the committee’s membership as set out on the agenda.
Apologies for absence
Election of Chair of the committee for 2021-22
Election of Vice-Chair of the committee for 2021-22
Declarations of interest
Members who consider that they have an interest to declare are asked to: a) State the item number in which they have an interest, b) The nature of the interest, c) Whether the interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest, non-disclosable pecuniary interest or nonpecuniary interest. Any Member who is unsure about the above should seek advice from the Monitoring Officer prior to the meeting in order to expedite matters at the meeting itself.
Committee terms of reference
To note the committee’s terms of reference which are as follows:
The functions of the Overview and Scrutiny committee primarily relate to scrutinising the work of the West of England Combined Authority and the West of England Joint Committee (“Joint Committee”) and making appropriate recommendations as to the discharge of its function.
The Overview and Scrutiny Committee shall have the power to:
1. Review or scrutinise decisions made, or other actions taken, in connection with the discharge of any functions which are the responsibility of the Combined Authority or the Joint Committee;
2. Provide advice and challenge on policy and programme delivery to help
ensure the region meets its climate commitments, including monitoring the delivery of the authority’s Climate Emergency Action Plan.
3. Make reports or recommendations to the Combined Authority or the Joint Committee (as appropriate) on matters that affect the Combined Authority area or the inhabitants of the area;
4. Make reports or recommendations to the Combined Authority or the Joint Committee (as appropriate) with respect to the discharge of any functions which are the responsibility of the Combined Authority or the Joint Committee;
5. In so far as the business of the Local Enterprise Partnership Business Board (LEP) relates to the discharge of functions of the Combined Authority or the Joint Committee, the Overview and Scrutiny Committee shall have the power to scrutinise the LEP as set out in 1. – 3. above.
To confirm the minutes of the previous meeting as a correct record.
Items from the public (questions; statements; petitions)
WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS (written procedure)
1. Any member of the public can submit a maximum of two written questions in advance of this meeting.
2. The deadline for the submission of questions is 5.00 pm, at least 3 clear working days ahead of a meeting. For this meeting, the deadline for questions is 5.00 pm on Thursday 17 June.
3. Questions should be addressed to the Chair of the meeting and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Under the direction of the Chair, wherever possible, written replies to questions will be sent to questioners by the end of the working day prior to the meeting.
5. Please note - under the Combined Authority’s committee procedures, there is no opportunity for oral supplementary questions to be asked at committee meetings.
6. The written questions and replies will be circulated to committee members in advance of the meeting and published on the Combined Authority website.
1. Any member of the public may submit a written statement (or petition) to this meeting.
2. Please note that one statement per individual is permitted.
3. Statements must be submitted in writing and received by the deadline of 12 noon on the working day before the meeting. For this meeting, the deadline for statements is 12 noon on Tuesday 22 June. Statements should be emailed to email@example.com
4. Statements will be listed for the meeting in the order of receipt. All statements will be sent to committee members in advance of the meeting and published on the Combined Authority website.
5. Please note:
If any member of the public wishes to attend the meeting to orally present their statement, they are asked please to notify the Combined Authority’s Democratic Services team of this at the point when their statement is submitted and by 12 noon on the working day before the meeting at the very latest.
For those presenting their statements at the meeting, up to 3 minutes ‘speaking time’ is permitted for each statement. The total time available for the public session at this meeting is 30 minutes.
All members of the public attending to present statements are requested please to take a Covid-19 lateral flow test 24 hours before the day of the meeting.
To review the reports / decisions due to be considered at the 25 June joint meeting of the West of England Combined Authority Committee and West of England Joint Committee and formulate any comments to refer to the committees.